TRIP & Fuel Permits

When do I need a fuel permit?

  • Traveling from your base state into another state with no IFTA sticker and when any of the following apply:
    • The gross vehicle/combination exceeds a registered weight of 26,000 lbs.
    • The vehicle (power unit only) is traveling on 3 or more axles
    • The vehicle is returning to its base state and has no IFTA sticker (depends on state).


  • Some states do not partake in IFTA program and do not offer a temporary fuel permit. In these states it is suggested that fuel be purchased & a receipt be carried.