TRIP & Fuel Permits
When do I need a fuel permit?
- Traveling from your base state into another state with no IFTA sticker and when any of the following apply:
- The gross vehicle/combination exceeds a registered weight of 26,000 lbs.
- The vehicle (power unit only) is traveling on 3 or more axles
- The vehicle is returning to its base state and has no IFTA sticker (depends on state).
- Some states do not partake in IFTA program and do not offer a temporary fuel permit. In these states it is suggested that fuel be purchased & a receipt be carried.